6 day self-drive adventure & activity self drive tour
Sites visited: Reykjavik, the Golden Circle, Landmannalaugar, Skaftafell, Vatnajökull, Jökulsárlón & more.
This amazing arctic journey is a 6 day (5 nights) tour, aimed at exploring the highlights of the south of Iceland in a 4X4 car. In this self-drive tour you’ll be able to roam freely and visit the biggies of the south of Iceland like Gullfoss and Geysir, venture into the highlands following the famed Fjallabak mountain track and soak in geothermal springs of Landmannalaugar. All this plus exploring Europe‘s biggest glacier, go snorkelingbetween the continents and raft a glacial river. And let’s not forget your chance to experience the midnight sun and the bright Icelandic nights in the best possible manner... out in pure nature!Disclaimer Please note that the accommodation is often in rural areas where the selection of places is limited. Of the near 318.000 people who live in Iceland about 200.000 live in Reykjavik. Hotel and guesthouse owners in the country side do their best to keep the athmosphere cosy and nice even though they don‘t always have the latest technology or most modern enviroment (some do, some don‘t). Their emphasis is the welcoming feeling you'll have on your home away from home. The main attractions in Iceland are the nature, culture, and history of the island as well as the action that it has to offer. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from the 15th of May to the 15th of September
Details & Prices: Ask for a quote
Accommodation (Choose Type A, B, C or D); A rental car (Choose Type A, B or C); GPS; The following tours & activities:
DAY 1: Snorkeling in Thingvellir National Park.
DAY 2: River Rafting on Hvítá River.
DAY 5: Glacier Grand Slam (glacier hiking and Jökulsárlón Lagoon sailing).
Not included: Fuel for the car Food & Supplies for your trip
Accommodation & Cars
We offer four types of accommodation and two types of cars.
- Type A accommodation: Camping Equipment: Tent, sleeping bag with liner, pillow, mattress and cooking gear. Camping site fee is not included. Suggestions of sites come with the road book.
- Type B accommodation: Sleeping bag accommdation in a room with shared facilities. Location and guesthouse or hotel depending on availability. Double/triple room or possibly a dorm in certain locations. Breakfast not included unless it is a standard with the room.
- Type C accommodation: Private room with made up bed and shared facilites. Location and guesthouse or hotel depending on availability. Breakfast included unless stated otherwise.
- Type D accommodation: Private room with made up bed and private facilities. Location and guesthouse or hotel depending on availability. Breakfast included.
- Car type A: The vehicle is old (between 5-15 years) but well maintained, clean and fulfills all governmental inspections and safety standards. Unlimited mileage and allows the drivers to drive on all roads and tracks, only dependent on vehicle type and a few general safety guidelines. GPS included and standard insurance. Gas not included.
- For 2 persons: Small size 4x4 (Suzuki Jimny or similar).
- For 3-4 persons: Small size 4x4 (Terrano or similar).
- Car type B: A new car from Hertz (maximum 2-3 years old) or a similar car rental. GPS included and standard insurance. Gas not included.
- For 2 persons: Small size 4x4 (Grand Vitara or similar).
- For 3-4 persons: Small size 4x4 (Toyota LandCruiser or similar).
Extras (not included but available upon request):
10% discount off accommodation at Reykjavik Backpackers for your stay in Reykjavik. See prices here.
Airport transfer from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik city (where you pick up your car and equipment on departure day). Includes a drop off at Reykjavik Backpackers or other hotel/guesthouse/hostel if needed.
Airport transfer from Reykjavik city on your departure day. Includes pick up at Reykjavik Backpackers or other hotel/guesthouse/hostel if needed.
What to bring with you
Duration of trip
Maximum number of participants
4 persons per guide